Saturday, October 16, 2021

 Seeing Charleston WV, CAREFULLY

Charleston West Virginia is a sneaky city to photograph. Yes, I said sneaky. No matter where you go in the city there are places that are not obvious to see, BUT they are in front of you. Then it gets worse, you start to think, HOW did I not see that before?

The Steeples. Its a fact, in the heart of Charleston is what I call a congregation of churches. All sects, all varieties, and at street level, you lose the BIG view. Every church, steeple, building, statue stands out fine. BUT WHAT IF you were able to go to the 6th level of a parking garage on McFarland Street? You would see this:


I first saw the above view in an easy google search. I was convinced, oh its fake, or I need a moon money camera. There is no way, anyone could make this photo. NOPE. Mine is above. Its a wonderful view. NOW, I had to take my own advice...slow down. Look at things from different places


AGAIN, I had missed the above..How many times have I walked past the St George Orthodox Church??? The windows of the building across the street, showed me the view above...I had not completely slowed down....not yet.





The temptation in any city is to see a cool building and think I gotta get that picture. However, slowing down allows you to see the parts and pieces of those buildings that are works of art, or rather, pieces of art. The Banking and Trust building facades...




BUT, I had to be embarrassed again.  OF COURSE I was headed to the Capital Building.....AND YES, I wanted to take pics of our state dome, BUT before I got there, I noticed the Dept of Motor Vehicles building in the back of our grand dome...AND YES, I saw more art. In fact, most of people there, walked by it every day, not a soul said a word. The Spirit of West Virginia Mural......


So I walked around the building and as you probably guessed, I found another cool, gold leafed mural, albeit, smaller:


I have another blog entry coming soon, one that is about our dome.   However, before I go, let me know what you think. Also, go to these places. I promise to let you know where they are, and before you know it, Charleston WV, sneaks up on you as a very beautiful and art filled city.......MORE updates are on the way....






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do share your thoughts