Thursday, June 23, 2022

 Slab Fork, West Virginia


Yes, the Slab Fork, West Virginia. This is a former coal town and yes, home to singer Bill Withers. In its day, Slab Fork was a giant coal town. Multiple trestles, schools, churches and a company store. On the way to Slab Fork, I saw a few signs on the road and I thought, I gotta put these in this post.


YES, I know Coal City and the sign below are NOT in Slab Fork. The signs are powerful reminders about why we have coal towns. Miners worked and lived there. This is a DRAFT page and I will be making changes to it. Clicking on an image will show you its original size. Feel free to comment PLEASE. IF you wish to have a copy of a print, feel free to contact me and we can discuss a fee.













1 comment:

  1. Although I wish I had, I didn't deliberately look for this tonight. I thought it'd be cooler to 'happen upon it,' like I did. It helps me to see the fabulous interest and energy you bring to everything you cover, M. I'm not reading it now, although most of it I kind of know from previous visits.

    I want to comment on the LOVE you bring with you when you work on (play with) anything concerning WV coal towns. I feel almost like crying when I realize how many MORE people we need with your dedication in order for all of this important information to not get lost -- to not fade away with the towns themselves. Another sad thing, M., is that I just now found this again, but I really must go to bed. I'll write soon and let you know what I'm up to (no need to bust out the 76 trombones, though. What I've been up to ain't no big whoop -- believe me). I'll KIT; hope you do also.

    jerri

    ReplyDelete

Please do share your thoughts