Tuesday, February 15, 2022

 WAR, West Virginia

So, I bet lots of folks ask, just how many places in the United States are named, War?? The answer at this time (2022) is ONE. The city of War WV was at one time called Miners City and was founded in 1920....War, was named after a local waterway named War Creek. SO...what about War? War WV is still classified as a city. Driving through War is easy, its a single main road that would take you to Cucumber if you were in a hurry. HOWEVER, be of good cheer, I loved War and tried with my limited time to capture its spirit. This is a starter series and there will be many more updates. PLEASE do feel free to leave comments. IF you want to have a print copy, please feel free to contact me and we can discuss a price and size.

YES, War is the southernmost city in West Virginia....



I have noted that some folks try to blend flowers or sky in alot of their pics of War. NOT ME. I see War as a city that one day, will stop being a city, then a town, then a place name and then people will forget it. SO, I have tried to take photos that show JUST buildings, and focus on some cool features that will one day be gone...

As an example below is the jail, which to my knowledge is gone. It was torn down in the early 2000's.....War is not a subtle place and I believe thats why I like it. There is no doubt about the pride, nor is there any doubt, it will not last forever.




Below is Miners City or rather the War Hotel. The Miners City sign is an homage to the city's roots.







The former War train station is also its City Hall. AND its claim to fame...The ten Commandments are proudly displayed on City Hall...I LOVE that







NOTE the Ten Commandments......displayed proudly on City Hall......


Can ANYONE tell me some stories of the Liberty Cafe???


NEVER forget the mural of the Big Creek Owls...Yes, of Homer Hickham fame..I will post pics of the Big Creek Highschool in War, HOWEVER, Coalwood High (Homers home town) is of course in Coalwood, you need to go and see that..










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do share your thoughts